The Idea

Large Scale Portraits of people with a lot of life experience that integrate the actual words of their stories into the lines and wrinkles of their faces.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Frank Lamar

I have had the fortunate opportunity to get to know this wonderful man, Frank Lamar, aged 92. I interviewed him last week and learned that he is a WWII naval vet; one of many African Americans who risked their lives for our country and were never given the opportunities or thanks they deserved for it. I am truly, TRULY, honored to tell his story here.



I've just begun his painting and already I've wiped it out and sketched it on again two or three times. I kept making his face too big- over and over. About the third time I realized, it is because that is how I see him. He is larger than the life he has known. His story is too important and it has sunken in; affected me deeply.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment